Friday, January 5, 2018

'Oblivious' Week (Part 4)

As I wrote earlier this week, if you don't typically find yourself veering in the direction of '80s remixes, this last day of examining the "Oblivious" singles will be a letdown because the following takes have all the bells and whistles that make the era cringeworthy to so many of you out there.

These two remixes were a 1984 fan-club release on 7" that was issued in a plain white sleeve. The names associated with these will be well known to you. Colin Fairley will have popped on your records as a co-producer or engineer of works by Nick Lowe, the Bluebells, the Go-Betweens and many more. Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley need no introductions as that team were hit-making machines during this period. As fans of Elvis Costello, Dexys Midnight Runners, Madness and Lloyd Cole and the Commotions may tell you, their overly polished heavy-handed building-block style wasn't for everyone.

The 7" itself was one that I had sought out for many years, and I even made a feeble online bid or two for it quite a while back, but that gotta have it feeling was quashed in 2014 when a deluxe edition of 'High Land, Hard Rain' included these curiosities. Now, I have been known to like a good '80s remix more than most of you. Even though I have quite a few copies of the album in my music room, I couldn't resist having these versions. In summation, I'm sure I would have been taken by these remixes in 1984, but neither did much for me in 2014. When Roddy stutters "they're calling all the sh-sh-sh-sh-sh shots" in the Langer/Winstanley remix, well, it sends shivers down my spine. There is no excuse for their liberal use of echo effects either. However, if for some inexplicable reason you don't own 'High Land, Hard Rain', I do heartily recommend the Domino reissue, avoiding the flat sounds of the 2012 Edsel version completely.

"Oblivious" (Langer/Winstanley Remix)
"Oblivious" (Colin Fairley Remix)

4 comments:

drew said...

Those are two remixes I never, ever want to hear again, they are atrocious. All responsible should hang their heads in shame. Back in 1984 I think my disgust would have spilled over into anger and if I had ever seen a copy violence, in as much as I would have been compelled to either smash it up or turn it into an ashtray. Jesus wept!

Brian said...

I do feel like I dodged a bullet with my attempts to find it, Drew. With shipping would have been about 30 pounds. Anyway, this series was going too well. Felt the need to sabotage it. I sent you a question today about a live recording in the previous post. Check it out if you have a second.

Swiss Adam said...

These a funny. I mean I agree with Drew, but the comedy element of these provides some entertainment.

JC said...

FFS!!!

I thought the remix treatment given to some of the Lloyd Cole & The Commotions 45s back in the day were bad.....but these are, as Drew says, atrocious.

But heads up to you for including them in the series. I hadn't heard them before today - and it helps confirm my policy of never going back to purchase anniversary editions of classic records as they, inevitably, are padded out with all sorts of dross.

Deluxe my arse!!!!