Saturday, December 23, 2017

It's Practically Here

Where did the time go? By this point I'm usually several days into the holiday tunes on these pages. Looks like I'll have to settle for today and Christmas Eve this year. As some of you regulars may have guessed, I have a soft spot for melancholy holiday themes masquerading as upbeat pop. Julian Henry and his pals Raymond Watt and Matt Moffatt, better known as the Hit Parade, provide just that with "Christmas Tears". Here's the gist:

He's still hoping for a Christmas card from someone who once broke his heart and though it's all in the past, he can't wipe away those Christmas tears that keep on rolling year after year.

Both versions are from the 1991 album 'More Pop Songs'. The second take (which appears on the CD but not the vinyl) features the beautiful vocals of indie darling Amelia Fletcher and will seem more of the season to your tender ears. I don't know about you, but it never ceases to amaze me how many times she pops up in my record collection.

"Christmas Tears"
"Christmas Tears (Starring Amelia)"

Up Next: A Spector-inspired holiday song featuring, quite possibly, my favorite power-pop band.

2 comments:

Charity Chic said...

Merry Christmas to you and yor family Brian

Swiss Adam said...

Merry Christmas Brian.