Thursday, September 21, 2017

The Name Game

I spent a good chunk of last night stuck on a name. While listening to a couple of albums by Cats on Fire, I was perusing the liner notes, as we do, and my eyes kept being drawn to a behind-the-scenes guy named Nick Triani. Why did I know that name? Triani had mixed one of the albums, and he was the first person thanked by the band on another. I finally gave up and went to the Web in defeat. It took about 30 seconds to realize I knew Triani from an indie-pop band he was in back in the '80s. I should have known.

The Bridge was from the Staines and Egham area, and they only had a couple of singles, but there was an A-side from 1986 that was a real keeper. "Shame is a Girl" was written by bandmate Mark Davies, and one of Triani's songs was relegated to the B-side. At one point, the Bridge was signed to Chrysalis, but this 7" came out on Norwich indie Backs Records. Backs was a record shop, label and distributor, and I can't help but wonder if our pal the Swede knows this lot from his days when he had his own shop. When you listen to this one, you may be transported to the sounds of Prefab Sprout in the band's earliest days. That's what I hear, anyway. If the Bridge grabs you, I highly recommend 'Face Down Everybody Looks The Same', a band compilation Firestation released a few years ago. Getting tough to find these days, but worth the hunt. There is a Triani song on that one called "Problem Child" that is my favorite from him. Sounds like the Wake circa 1985.

In the '90s, Triani was in Supermodel, a band you may know better than the Bridge. He has gone on to make quite a name for himself as a presenter on Radio Helsinki and as a producer and label head (Soliti) in that part of the world. Thus, his connection to the aforementioned Cats on Fire and, it turns out, a number of other bands I plan to dive into in the coming weeks. This turned out to be a pretty fun way to spend an evening. Here's that 7":

"Shame is a Girl"
"The Loveless"

8 comments:

Echorich said...

Really good stuff Brian, but did we really dress like that?

C said...

Ah, Backs! The Swede won't be the only one who remembers them! - I was fortunate enough to be given the very enjoyable responsibility of ordering all the indie stock in my record shop job, which meant a regular phone call to Backs in Norwich to discuss all the new releases. Many very animated conversations ensued - and then of course the excitement of the box of orders arriving a few days later (although I'm afraid I don't remember this one specifically even though the timing would have been right.) But certainly a lot of the singles and artists you've featured here on LTL are familiar to me through those phone calls and orders with Backs (you'd have been in your element there, Brian!)
I'm sure TS will have similar things to say :-)

Brian said...

I suppose we probably did, Echorich, although I never had that much excess belt hanging over. Glad you liked the song.

C, Of course you would know, Backs. I should have thought of you after all of those great stories from the record shop. I don't have much with the Backs label on it, but I sometimes wonder if the indie bands, labels, fanzines, flexis and such I write about from your part of the world are blown up and distorted in my mind. They all seem huge in my little world. Thanks for your recollection of Backs!

C said...

What I love about this is the connection - all those miles away you mention a name and then it triggers a memory for me/us over here, and the world itself does become smaller!
Those calls to Backs were when they were part of The Cartel distribution so we got records in from them on a number of labels -and I'm so often reminded of those different labels and band names when I come here, probably more than anywhere else, which I think is pretty amazing!

Brian said...

Now, the Cartel is a logo you would find all over my record collection. Indie's golden age. This little exchange has made my weekend.

Indiggy said...

Love this track - thanks for posting. I hear a lot of Gary Newby from the Railway Children in the singers voice and phrasing - great stuff!

Brian said...

Welcome, Indiggy. That is a very good call, my good man.

JC said...

Thanks Sherlock!!!!

What a great piece of work....Loving these two songs.