Thursday, April 7, 2016

ABCs of My Vinyl Collection (Letter B, Part 16)

Time to go with my second-favorite band from NME's legendary 'C86' cassette. My all-time favorite will be coming up in the letter Cs, and I will set aside at least a couple of days when we get to those blokes. I digress... mostly because I don't have anything new to say. The Bodines have popped up on this blog many times through the years, including when I ranked "Therese" the 11th best UK indie single of the '80s a mere two years ago. The photo above shows my three singles from the Bodines' Creation period. I don't believe I have ever put up their first single. the double-A sided "God Bless"/"Paradise." So, that's where we'll go today. It was an auspicious start, peaking at No. 8 on the UK indie chart in the fall of '85. I will be ripping all three of these singles today. It would not take much arm twisting if someone out there requested a second day to give either the "Therese" or "Heard It All" 12" singles a listen. Man, I love these guys. I wish there could have been more, but just about everything they gave us was gold.

"God Bless"
"Paradise"

8 comments:

The Swede said...

I have to tell you Brian, that as a direct result of your decision to concentrate on ripped vinyl from your own shelves in 2016, you've inspired me to take long-promised tentative steps at digitising and sharing some of what remains of my own collection. It's early days yet, but watch this space!
Top tunes today, natch. Let's be having one of those other 12"ers then!

kevinpat said...

I knew I wasn't cRaZy, at least not this time. When I got my copy of 'C86' recently I read the playlists and thought there's really only one band on this collection that I know, The Bodines. Then I thought "Hmm, I wasn't expecting them on here, but hey! Now it sounds even more interesting." After hearing their track, which I liked a lot, I thought "Wow, they really changed their sound." Ummm not so much because I swore there was an American potang band named The Bodines. So after listening to these tracks I checked i-tunes (shhhhh...I know, I know....) and there are two bands, this one The Bodines and that other one The BoDeans!!! Now I got it. While there at the-site-that-will-go-unmentioned I sampled the Bodines album "Played" which sounded really good. I really like the featured track here "God Bless". Has a New York sound to it, that post punk late night dirty bar sound. And because I often hear odd influences maybe some New York Dolls?? Anyway Brian I like. Thanks!

kevinpat said...

....what the Swede said.

Brian said...

Exciting news, Swede. Can't wait to see what you dig up.

Kevinpat, I remember the BoDeans well. They were from Illinois and got quite a bit of play on WXRT when I lived in Chicago in the early '90s. I can even claim to have seen them when they opened for Elvis Costello in the summer of '91. I like the Bodines better, but the BoDeans weren't too bad either.

Anonymous said...

" when you think she is lonely you phone just to make sure" one of the great love gone wrong lines from the gorgeous heard it all

Swiss Adam said...

Bodines=class.

Brian said...

Welcome back, Adam.Hope you had a good trip. Great photos.

FORW, What a lyric! You've convinced me to post it ASAP.

JC said...

As I said last year when fetaured this lot over at my place....Therese sounds as if Julian Cope is fronting an energetic and lively Orange Juice which is a recipe for unadulterated magnificence.

The rest of their stuff isn't too shabby either