Saturday, June 25, 2011

All the Music News You Need to Know

I have read quite a few interesting music-related articles lately. Some of these were going to get individual posts with life-changing insights from your truly. As Mike Singletary would say, "can't do it." I'm just too damn lazy. So, check these out for yourself.

Great white sharks like their AC/DC.
(NME)
Never mind that sharks don't have ears. Just go with it.

HMV is on its last legs.
(The Guardian)
If you're a music lover that has traveled to Europe or Asia, this has to break your heart. Sixteen years ago, I had one of my all-time buying sprees at an HMV. They had a promotion where you would spin a wheel while making your purchase. You could land on something like take 10 percent off of your bill or win a free CD. I walked out of there that day with nine records, including Epic Soundtracks' 'Rise Above' and Brinsley Schwarz' 'Silver Pistol.' Yes, like most of my purchases through the years, I remember what and where I bought specific pieces of music in 1995.

Kinks' Ray Davies talks 'Village Green.'
(The Wall Street Journal)
Please, Mr. Davies, perform your best album in its entirety on an American tour.

Brian Wilson's life story is coming to the big screen.
(The New York Times)
Here's hoping it's better than the ABC biopic 'The Beach Boys: An American Family' that I saw in 2000 and have spent the better part of a decade trying to forget.

Apple is on its way to ending your shaky camera work at concerts.
(The Washington Post)
Attention all you losers who block my view at concerts with your stupid phones: Better buy a Google... stat! Since Google owns YouTube, I doubt they will be adding this little nugget. They need your shaky, pitiful content.

Teen brains can predict pop hits.
(The Huffington Post)
That must mean there's a sinister way to stop the Lady Gagas and Katy Perrys of the world, right?

Buzzcocks have a new record... sort of.
(Pitchfork)
Have you noticed there are several artists out there re-recording songs from their past? It all has to do with bands having problems with their labels. I get it. They want to be paid. Kate Bush reinterpreted her past, while Squeeze went into the studio and dared you to 'Spot the Difference.' As for Buzzcocks, they claim these new versions make the old ones sound like demos. The problem is I like my '70s punk to sound like demos. My old pal Marc Hogan (I used to work with him) from Pitchfork seems to agree.

No comments: