Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Brian Wilson and Macca Make News

Two of my three all-time favorite artists (David Bowie should probably be in the conversation) made a little music news this week you may have missed.

Brian Wilson, in an interview with BBC 6 Music, said he is open to reuniting in the studio with the surviving members of the Beach Boys. It would mark the 50th anniversary of the band and the first time Wilson will have recorded with the fellas since the country-tinged 'Stars and Stripes Volume One' about 15 years ago. He sounds like he may be up to it, but he did add: "I just don't know if I want to be around those guys, you know? They're zany guys. They're crazy." I'll be keeping an eye on this one. Whether this collaboration happens or not, we do know they will be getting together later this year to complete the 'SMiLE' box set Capitol is releasing.

In other Wilson news, last week he told the Evening Standard he plans to retire from touring next year, saying: "Another year, maybe. This could be the last time I play here. I'm going to miss it, but I'm getting a little bit old for touring." If all of this goes down, I have a few burning questions. Will the Wondermints, Jeffrey Foskett and the rest of Wilson's backing band be a part of any new songs, or will Mike Love's outfit have to be in on the recordings? I see this as the major hurdle to any reunion. Also, if Wilson quits touring, as expected, will his last shows be as a member of the Beach Boys? Stay tuned. Here is the Wilson interview from BBC 6 Music:



In other news, Paul McCartney has told Rolling Stone he will be releasing a covers album in early 2012. These will be pre-rock compositions he calls his "dad's style of music." The untitled album is already in the can, and he had planned on recording it a long time ago "but then Rod [Stewart] went mad on it. I thought, 'I have to wait so it doesn't look like I'm trying to do a Rod.'" So, I guess I have another reason to dislike Stewart's work. Diana Krall will appear on some of the songs that Sir Paul describes as "get-home-from-work music. You put it on and get a glass of wine."

In a complete turn of events, he is also planning a "heavy rock album." He claims to have been inspired by the Foo Fighters' latest, 'Wasting Light.' Macca added: "You never know, I may run into a garage to make this other album." With his impending nuptials, album reissues and this new work, I can't help but admire his work ethic. He's a Beatle. He doesn't owe us anything, but I sure am glad he's still recording. As I have said on this site several times, his last few albums have been sheer genius. Here's an old song for you fanatics. This is a demo McCartney did for Badfinger in 1969. C'mon, you know this one, but maybe not like this.

Paul McCartney - Come and Get It (mp3)

No comments: