Friday, May 29, 2009

I'm Partial to His Abracadabra


Filming has begun on 'Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll', an Ian Dury biopic starring Andy Serkis as Dury (Gollum from 'The Lord of the Rings' flicks), Ray Winstone ("Gal" from 'Sexy Beast') as his father and -- ooh-la-la -- Olivia Williams (Rosemary Cross from 'Rushmore'). Moving on, Dury was a hero of mine in my youth, and his story of surviving polio and living with a handicap as he helped lead the punk revolution should make quite a movie. I first heard his music on the soundtrack for the film 'That Summer' when I was 13 years old. Never mind that I still have not seen the movie to this day. This is the best soundtrack I have ever owned, and it is the pivotal work that started my love for music out of the mainstream. It's deserving of a blog entry on its own in the next week or two.

'New Boots and Panties!!' is the first record of Dury's I ever bought (owned over the years in three formats), and it is still my favorite. 'Blackmail Man' might be the hardest song I have ever heard. Upon her first few listens, my wife wondered why Dury had something against a black mailman. That's still a smile. Here's one from that great record.

Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Plaistow Patricia (mp3)

No comments: