Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Favorite Reissues of 2020

Music is what got me through this miserable year. To be more specific, in many cases, it was the music from my youth that soothed me. Hell, even much of the new music I bought sounds like it came from my youth, but we'll get to those later. For now, let's listen to the literal old stuff. First, a quick rundown of the reissues I wish I had picked up but didn't because they were either too expensive or sold out too quickly. That would include mammoth box sets by Prince, Pylon and the Divine Comedy. All three have been heralded, and I will probably regret not picking them up for years to come.
One of my resolutions this year was to avoid reissues if I already owned all or nearly all of the material already. In many instances, I failed, but I did manage to stay away from amazing releases from the Chills, Lou Reed, the Specials, Bob Mould, Razorcuts and McCarthy for that reason. I can't tell you how difficult that was. I had to tell myself over and over it was okay to stick with my old CD even though it was finally out on vinyl. As I have said before on these pages, it's a sickness, but even I realize it's ridiculous to pay $36 for 'Submarine Bells.'
I decided to cap this list at 30 (although I cheated a bit by having more than one title in a few places). In case you're curious, the last two out were the 'Elektrafied - The Elektra Years 1979-1982' box by power-pop band Shoes and "Dubs" 10" from the Specials. I was pleasntly surprised to find vinyl was still the majority on this list. I'm not sure that will be the case when I get to new releases. More on that subject next time too. I usually try to give a brief explanation of each with the list, but I'm pressed for time this year. Where I could, I have linked to pages that should help with questions and how to buy (if not already sold out). Happy listening.

1. Various Artists - 'Strum & Thrum: The American Jangle Underground 1983 - 1987'
2. The Bluebells - 'Sisters' (Monorail Edition)
3. Various Artists - Optic Sevens 2.0
4. The Bachelor Pad - 'All Hash and Cock' and "Meet the Lovely Jenny Brown"
5. Robert Forster - 'Danger in the Past' and 'Calling From a Country Phone'
6. Kirsty MacColl - 'Other People’s Hearts'
7. The Church Grims - 'Yankee Mags'
8. The Primitives - 'Bloom! The Full Story 1985-1992'
9. Heavenly - 'A Bout De Heavenly: The Singles'
10. Wilco - 'Summerteeth'
11. East Village - 'Hotrod Hotel'
12. The Haywains - 'The Haywains Have Left The Building!'
13. Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings - 'Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Rendition Was In)'
14. The Times - "Red With Purple Flashes"
15. The Monochrome Set - 'Little Noises 1990-1995'
16. BMX Bandits - 'C86'
17. Love Tractor - 'Love Tractor'
18. Hangman's Beautiful Daughters - 'Smashed Full of Wonder'
19. Joy Division - "Transmission," "Atmosphere" and "Love Will Tear Us Apart"
20. Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks - 'Orange Crate Art'
21. Roger Joseph Manning Jr. - 'The Land Of Pure Imagination'
22. Pretenders - 'Live! At The Paradise Theater, Boston, 1980'
23. The Pale Fountains - 'Longshot for Your Love'
24. The Lucksmiths - 'A Good Kind of Nervous'
25. The Friday Club - 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning'
26. Marshall Crenshaw - 'Miracle of Science'
27. The Distractions - 'Nobody's Perfect'
28. The Pale Saints - 'The Comforts of Madness'
29. The Revillos - 'Stratoplay'
30. The Wee Cherubs - 'The Merry Makers'

9 comments:

Dan Destiny's Silver Dawn said...

You swine, Brian! I've been desperately trying to resist the temptation of sending off for the 'Strum & Thrum' collection due to cost considerations, and then you go and put it at number 1!

A great selection, and plenty of commonality. My favourite reissues generally fall into three categories: LPs I inexplicably failed to buy the first time around (The Enraged Will Inherit The Earth, The World Keeps Turning, Hotrod Hotel); LPs that fill an aching gap in my collection (I, Jonathon, I Am The Cosmos); or compilations on Ace, Kent, Soul Jazz etc (Deutsche Electronic Music Vol 4, Space Funk, Bob Stanley's excellent Tears of Technology).

But for 2020, I'll have to go for the Razorcuts' 'Storyteller', even though I have an original copy. The packaging, the liner notes, the LP of extras, all make it a very special item. Also, it was through searching for "Razorcuts" on google that I first came across your brilliant blog earlier this year!

Have a great Christmas, and I hope Santa brings you some vinyl goodies!

Brian said...

Greetings, DDSD. I know a couple of readers that are going to light up when they read "compilations on Ace, Kent..." I'm going to call you a swine right back with your line about getting Razorcuts' 'Storyteller', even though you have an original copy, due to the packaging and liner notes and extras. Optic Nerve had a sale recently that had me considering those two albums all over again... after I felt like I had the temptation licked.

Strum & Thrum is on the expensive side, and I imagine the shipping would be brutal to your neck of the woods. You can always do the download, but I feel like the accompanying book is a must have. One of those things you read while listening to enhance the experience.

I did ask Santa for some vinyl, but I wasn't a particularly good boy this year. Perhaps he will meet me in the middle with some flexis. My best to you and your family. Happy Christmas.

Unknown said...

Dave Godin’s Deep Soul Treasures Vol 5, along with Boomy Tella would have been my top 2 for 2019.

I think I meeting might have to treat myself to Strum and Thrum as a Christmas present to myself. It will hopefully arrive by Tomorrow Easter.

jonder said...

Great choices! I am waiting with fingers crossed for Christmas morning, in hopes that the 3 disc Scars set is under the tree.

I passed on yet another repackaging of The Fall (the "1981" box set) but am sorely tempted by "Strum And Thrum" (love the cover photo!) and the new expanded reissue of the Gun Club's Miami. I have Miami and Death Party on vinyl, but the sound is so thin, and the reissue promises to rectify that.

McPop said...

Seasons greetings Brian. I always enjoy this time of year when you roll out your best of lists. Looks like I have a lot of investigation of reissues. The ones I have you showed are the outstanding Strum and Thrum, East Village, Love Tractor, Distractions, Shoes, and JDDE. I’ve thought about getting that Church Grims, how is it? I look forward to your best new releases of 2020 list and will try to post mine in the comments. Take care, Matt

Dan Destiny’s Silver Dawn said...

A big yes to the Scars! A massively underrated band in my humble opinion. I’ve got their first couple of singles and of course the classic Author! Author! LP. Thanks for alerting me to this set, Jonder, which should fill in the gaps.

Brian said...

Did not know about that Scars set. Ordered. Thanks, Jonder.

Brian said...

McPop, About the Church Grims. They have always reminded me a bit of the June Brides, and they are my all-time favorites of the C86-ish genre. In order to fully recommend, I would probably need to to know what you already have by them. A few of their best songs have appeared on comps in recent years, such as C88, C89, vol. 4 of Leamington Spa series, Big Gold Dreams, etc. I was introduced to them through two songs on the Souvenirs From Egg Records comp about 15 years ago. If you have these, perhaps you would not see Yankee Mags as vital. I'm a pretty big fan, yet, I have never owned the Basement Tapes. That was enough to send me running for Yankee Mags. Everyone should at least have the songs Mr. Watt Said, Seen It All and Plaster Saint.

McPop said...

Thanks for the details Brian. I do have most of the comps you mentioned but the basement tapes sound intriguing so I may get Yankee Mags next time I put in order with Jigsaw. I hope Santa was good to you. I was generously gifted the new Macca, 2-Tone the albums CD box set and The Minders ‘Hooray for Tuesday’ LP 20th anniversary edition! - Matt