Saturday, December 12, 2020

Catching Up on 2019 (Part 2)

Going to be a quick one today but wanted to tout a couple of albums I purchased in 2020 that most certainly would have been on my year-end list for 2019 if only I had picked them up sooner. Both of these bands can be summed up in one word... class.

First up is James Clarke Five. The Liverpudlian Clarke (not his real name) has had this incarnation since 2003, but he has been making music for decades. Perhaps you remember "Kardomah Cafe" when he fronted the Cherry Boys. I have to admit, this year was my first foray into his vast library, and that's because 'ParlourSounds' came out on Canadian label the Beautiful Music. I'm always willing to take a punt on any of their stable of stars, and this album turned out to be the most rewarding risk I have ever taken with the outfit. 'ParlorSounds' will take you back to the '60s, sometimes swingin', sometimes mod, sometimes baroque but always right on the mark. I can't recommend this album enough.

James Clarke Five - 'ParlourSounds'

In a coincidence, I have just seen my pal JC at the (new) Vinyl Villain is featuring this next band on this very day. That happens from time to time. If you know JC's true identity, this is not the only coincidence on this page, but I'll leave you to figure the other one out. Please visit his place to fill in the blanks about David Scott and one of Glasgow's most underrated bands, the Pearlfishers. Until this year, I always felt 2007 album 'Up With the Larks' was their best, but the gorgeous and lush 'Love & Other Hopeless Things' is the one I would direct you to now, especially if you can appreciate a little Burt Bacharach. There will be lots of banter in these parts about the best music that has come out this year, but if you missed these two albums from 2019, you need to go back and fill the holes.

The Pearlfishers - "Love & Other Hopeless Things"

3 comments:

Charity Chic said...

JC has kept that string to his bow quiet Brian!

Brian said...

I know our JC went into the studio once. Perhaps there is more to the story.

Dan Destiny's Silver Dawn said...

Brian

Nice post on the Pearlfishers. I've got several of their CDs from the 90s when I was buying pretty much anything I could find on Marina Records. But I have to admit I lost track of them since moving to NZ. I loved David Scott's role in putting together the wonderful 'Caroline Now' collection, but my favourite has to be the 'Even On A Sunday Afternoon' EP. I just love his versions of 'Wichita Lineman' and 'Let's Put Our Hearts Together'. I'm going to have to explore some of these newer releases!