Monday, January 6, 2020

Marshall Crenshaw Tinkers With Razor & Tie Era

Marshall Crenshaw has gained ownership of the masters he did for Razor & Tie from 1994 to 2003. This means a mess of reissues on his own Shiny-Tone label and with a twist. Yes, there will be bonus tracks, but Crenshaw has also revised some of the songs. More importantly, this will be the first time these albums have appeared on vinyl.

First up is the 1996 album 'Miracle of Science,' out Jan. 17. To be honest, I have always been content with my CD copies of these albums, but 'Miracle of Science' is something special and will be purchased a second time by yours truly. After his second album, I lost track of Crenshaw. Thirteen years later, 'Miracle of Science' brought me back in the fold, and I think it's the best thing he has ever done outside of the self-titled debut and 'Field Day.' It wasn't long before I caught up on what I had missed, and I haven't strayed since.

About that tinkering, Crenshaw says, "I got pretty aggressive with 'Only an Hour Ago.' Listening in 2019, it seemed that the original production and arrangement were burying the song. So I changed it, mostly using the original elements. And I did a similar thing on 'There and Back Again.'" If you buy the album on vinyl, the two bonus tracks (never before released) will be on a 7", which is a really nice touch. They are covers of Scottish indie-pop artist Daniel Wylie's "Misty Dreamer" and Michel Pagliaro's "What the Hell I Got," a Canadian hit from 1975.

As you can see above, the artwork went through a big change too. If you have the original, you know that micro booklet with all of the crazy folds would never work as a vinyl album cover. There are elements of the original, particularly the back cover, but the new look is a deliberate take on the old Roulette Records label, circa 1958. Even though the original album cover was nominated for a Grammy, I'm quite taken with the new look.

Expect every one of Crenshaw's Razor & Tie studio releases to get a reissue, as well as the early works and live album comps 'The 9-Volt Years' and 'My Truck Is My Home.' It's a great time to be a Crenshaw fan, isn't it? If you aren't one, climb aboard. There is plenty of room on the bandwagon. Here is a clip of one of the bonus tracks.



Jan. 16 Update: The CD and streaming reissue of 'Miracle of Science is still on for tomorrow, but the coveted vinyl edition has been delayed due to manufacturing issues. Also, Crenshaw was a guest on Josef Arthur's 'Come To Where I'm From' podcast last week. It's 90-plus minutes of bliss and chock full of talk about 'Field Day.' Highly recommended.

5 comments:

FurryBootsCityBoy said...

I bought Marshall Crenshaw's "Downtown" mostly because a mate of mine kept playing it every time I visited him and I loved "I'm Sorry an so is Brenda Lee. I recall he did a lot of cover versions and he wrote "My Favourite Waste of Time". Hadn't heard of "Misty Dreamer" or Ben Wylie before but the song sounds really good. Thanks.

Brian said...

FBCB, Downtown is where I got off this ride. I was about 15 when I got it, and the songs were a little to grown up for me. I did like Little Wild One (No. 5) though. It would be a decade before I would submit to its charms. This coincides with hearing these songs live for the first time. I have seen Crenshaw many times since the mid-'90s when I rediscovered him.

Rol said...

Someone I've been meaning to investigate further since the last time you featured him. This could be the time.

Brian said...

This guy is right up your alley, Rol. I may have to put together a playlist for you.

Jim H. said...

Daniel Wylie's Cosmic Rough Riders are well worth investigating too, some great songs and sounds on his many albums.....