Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Picked Up in 2018 (Part 3)

Do you ever find a record and ask yourself, how in the world did this get here? Shockingly, I found both of these EPs in two different shops right here in Seattle last year. I like to think I know a bit about Scottish bands, especially of a certain era, but I somehow missed Jesse Garon & the Desperadoes until they appeared on Cherry Red's excellent 2013 box set 'Scared to Get Happy.' Since then, I think indie-pop fans all over the globe have become familiar with the Edinburgh band because they have continued to have a good run with the label, appearing on the 'C86' and 'C87' box sets in 2014 and 2016, respectively. Well, I have fallen hard for them. How can you not love a band that names themselves after Elvis' still-born twin? Brilliant.

Both of the above EPs are from their later years. In fact, along with sole album 'Nixon' via Edinburgh's Avalanche Records, the 1990 six-track 12" of "Hold Me Now"/"Grand Hotel" would turn out to be the band's final release. The four-track 12" "You'll Never Be That Young Again" preceded it by two years. The sound of Jesse Garon & The Desperadoes is a bit hard to pin down. The early years are a nice bit of jangle and right in my wheelhouse. By the late '80s, I hear some 10,000 Maniacs in there, and maybe just a little of my pals the Popguns too. Then they turn it way up on "Grand Hotel," a moving song about the '84 IRA Brighton bombing, and I'm back to square one when trying to describe them. All I know for sure is I dig 'em at any speed and volume. Hope you enjoy them too.

Hold Me Now
Grand Hotel
You'll Never Be That Young Again

6 comments:

Dirk said...

Heard them on Peel the first time back in '89, Brian, a tune called 'I'm Up Here'. Check it out, it's fantastic as well!

Brian said...

Hi Dirk. That’s the song that appears on C87. You’re so right. I like that one more than anything I have presented here today.

JC said...

coming up soon on the a-z rundown over at my place....I might just steal your words young man!

Brian said...

You have been a busy bee, JC. It's always a pleasure when you stop by, and I appreciate you chiming in. Thanks for all of the comments. I hope you are well. Your post today is heartbreaking.

Dirk said...

Are you still there, mate? Or are you already frozen ... ?

Mass65 said...

I discovered this band lately (and downloaded all their Narodnik/Velocity period stuff), they are fantastic!
Hope they release sooner or later a legit comp with all their early output, they deserve it!