Friday, January 4, 2019

Picked Up in 2018 (Part 1)

I'm embarrassed to admit until recently the only song you would have found on my shelf by the Apartments was "The Shyest Time." Robert Forster's references to the band and frontman Peter Milton Walsh in his book 'Grant & I' were what lit the fire and got me seeking the album 'The Evening Visits... And Stays For Years,' first released in 1985 by Rough Trade and lovingly reissued by Captured Tracks in 2015.

I use "lovingly" because the 26 pages of liner notes penned by Forster, Steven Schayer of the Chills and Walsh himself, along with photos, reviews and other gems would make this a must-have on its own. Throw in the demos Rough Trade heard before signing them, as well as the three-track EP "The Return of the Hypnotist" from 1979 and the "All You Wanted" single from 1984 and now you've got a must-have reissue even for those who already own the original.

Walsh assembled quite a band and recruited friends like Clare Kenny, Ben Watt and Graham Lee of the Triffids as well. This crew was described by the NME in '85 as "melancholy and lamenting, bitter, exhilarating and extremely witty" and 'The Evening Visits...' as "a pure heart-wrencher" that "should only be listened to after dark." What's in that Brisbane water? This album was arguably my favorite discovery last year.

Great Fool

6 comments:

McPop said...

Brian -
Great discovery! I picked up the Apartments reissue on Captured Tracks a few years ago and come back to it often. I especially like “the last look is a stare” EP.

In 2018 I tracked down some hard to find/pricey albums that have been on my want list for quite some time, including Sea Urchins ‘Stardust’, The Chills ‘Brave Words’ and Mad Turks ‘Toast’.

Cheers

- Matt (apologizes for the recent barrage of comments)

Brian said...

Sounds like you had a hell of a year digging through the bins, McPop. I plan to highlight a few others I discovered this past year. I hope the Chills are making it to your neck of the woods in 2019. I appreciate the barrage!

The Swede said...

I'm glad you've caught up with Peter's work Brian, he's an unsung genius in my book and right up your street I reckon. You certainly seemed impressed when I posted this a couple of years back. https://unthoughtofthoughsomehow.blogspot.com/2017/10/drift.html

Brian said...

I remember that, Swede. Clearly more work to be done.

Indiggy said...

Thanks for posting - had forgot to pick this up. It looks gorgeous! Super excited to be see The Chills in Detroit in February too!

Brian said...

Coming my way in March, Indiggy. Can't wait. I think this Apartments reissue will be right up your alley.