Saturday, December 29, 2018

One That Got Away

It happens at the end of every year. We painstakingly assemble our lists of favorite albums only to discover a day, week or month later an album that should have been there. For me, this year, it's 'Oh Boy' from Massage. The Swede told me about this one back in July, and I took to it then but abruptly forgot about it. I was reminded of it again when he had it on his list of best albums about a week ago. A day later I saw Massage on Howard's singles rundown at IndiePopSavedMyLife. To rub it in even more, the day after that I heard the band on two different podcasts featuring the year's best. Thanks for the nudge, everybody. I'm now obsessed with 'Oh Boy.'

Massage is based in Los Angeles, and they remind me a bit of another band from there I also just missed on my albums countdown in 2013. Dream Boys are three Americans and one Scotsman that met in La-La-Land for one glorious self-titled long player I bought in late December that year just as I was assembling my year-end lists. I knew immediately this was the best album I had heard in 2013. Alas, it was too late. If I were to do a best of the decade, and as we approach 2019 I envision this being on the horizon, I imagine the album would be in my top 10. They have been described as filtering the spirit of Postcard Records through the haze of the Paisley Underground. Five years on, I can't believe this album hasn't caught the attention of more listeners that worship at the altar of 'C86.' Maybe it's the name. Dream Boys sounds like a Broadway musical, doesn't it?

To the best of my knowledge, Dream Boys have never had another album. Maybe they're finished. If so, they are one of the best flickers of brilliance I have on the shelf.

Sometimes
Born Yesterday

7 comments:

Swiss Adam said...

Always happens, every year, without fail.

Rol said...

For me, it was the Karine Polwart album this year. (Although I'm sure there will be others.)

Howard said...

Hi Brian,

While I heard the Massage single and loved it, it wasnt until after I saw some other trusted lists that I finally found the LP and it is great.

Dream Boys did release another single in 2014, I have it as MP3, probably via emusic when I subscribed to that service. Then they put a full 2nd LP up on Soundcloud to stream but I never saw a digital or physical release for purchase.

--Howard

Howard said...

I forgot the link:

2nd LP - Dream Boys (LA)

https://soundcloud.com/dream-boys/sets/happy-to-forget

Brian said...

Thanks for the link, Howard. I had no idea. Can't wait to give this a good listen. I wonder why this never got a proper release...

McPop said...

Hey Brian,

I dig that Dream Boys album. Just spun the CD yesterday!

Do you like Felt? I’ve picked up some of the reissues and enjoying them. Strange Idols and Forever Breathe are probably my favorite albums.

- Matt

Brian said...

Hi McPop. I somehow missed this comment until today. Sorry about that. I have written about Felt a few times through the years. This post more or less sums me up. Can't believe this was almost seven years ago:

http://lineartrackinglives.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-do-you-feel-about-felt.html

Having said that, Penelope Tree did make my top 50 UK indie singles list in 2015, and I don't want to give the impression I hate Felt. Far from it. I just always felt like I should have liked Felt more but somehow didn't. For many years, outside of two comps, Felt was so tough to find. I am happy all of Felt's work became available again, and the reissues are very well done. They will be out of print again in no time.