Monday, December 24, 2018

Celebrate Yule With Jesus of Cool


Naughty? Nice? No judgments here. For what it's worth, you've all made my list. Thanks to all who stopped by the blog in 2018. Almost all of my holiday albums are what could best be described as classics. Spector, the Beach Boys and '60s R&B and soul get most of the turntable time in December, but a couple of contemporary albums have become regular listens this decade.

I have highlighted 'Tinsel and Lights' from Tracey Thorn ad nauseam, but I don't think I have given enough love to these two from Nick Lowe. 'Quality Street,' released in 2013, is a mix of originals and covers and a real charmer. It's understated warmth makes it perfect for sipping hot chocolate in front of the tree long after the kids have hit the sack. I hear "Christmas at the Airport" on satellite radio and in the shops, and it's well on its way to being a holiday mainstay. This year, I have taken to Lowe's inspired take on "Silent Night." Horns, organ and an upbeat rhythm really wake up this tired carol.

Silent Night

By the time 'The Quality Holiday Revue Live' was released in 2015, Yep Roc labelmates Los Straitjackets had become Lowe's regular backing band, and he's still playing with them to this day. Their song "Tokyo Bay" made my list of favorite songs for 2018, and we have been promised a long player in 2019. The album is divided between songs from 'Quality Street' and classics from the Lowe canon. Don't pass up on seeing these guys. Dick Dale would be proud of this rendition...

Christmas at the Airport (Live)

See, you were on my list. My best to you and your families, and I hope Santa is good to you Christmas morning.

6 comments:

John Medd said...

Nick Lowe is no stranger over at my place. This is the only Christmas album I can listen to in its entirety. Old Toy Trains does it for me...

Happy Christmas Brian.

Charity Chic said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours Brian

Swiss Adam said...

Happy Christmas Brian.

C said...

A very happy Christmas to you and all the family, Brian.

Alyson said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family Brian - You'll be waking up to the day a bit later than the test of us though - We'll be having a lie down having eaten and drunk far too much probably!

drew said...

Hope Santa was good to you Brian and hope you and the family had a great time.