Friday, September 21, 2018

Not at All a Pale Imitation

If you're a regular reader, then you know I keep two physical lists of music wants. One is chock full of new releases and somewhat easily attainable records. That list is fluid and expands and constricts as regularly as I breathe. In fact, I got to cross off the Goon Sax and Alpaca Sports earlier this week at nearly the same time I added the Chills and Molly Burch. The other list is static and chock full of the rare and/or expensive records I almost never find. One such record is the single "(There's Always) Something on My Mind" from the Pale Fountains. I have been obsessed with either the original 7" of "Just a Girl" with "(There's Always) Something on My Mind" on the flip side via Operation Twilight or the three-song 12" with said song on the A-side that came out on Belgian label Les Disques Du Crépuscule, both from 1982. Through the years, I have been able to track down these songs on compilations, but there is nothing like the real thing, is there?

By now you must be guessing I finally caught my white whale. Well, not quite, but I have come close. In 2013, Les Disques Du Crépuscule released a glorious reissue with the original '82 album cover and all three songs on a 12", and there were many extras as well. Included was unreleased second single "Longshot For Your Love" plus two songs recorded for the Crépuscule compilation albums 'Ghosts of Christmas Past' and 'Moving Soundtracks.' That's just the A-side. Side two had six live tracks recorded in October 1982 on the Crépuscule package tour that saw the Paleys on the bill with the likes of 23 Skidoo and Cabaret Voltaire. There was also a bonus CD included with complete performances from Brussels on Oct. 5 and and Leuven on Oct. 6, 1982, respectively.

That's a plethora of early Paleys, but I missed out as it quickly went out of print. Finally, in June of this year, Crépuscule pressed 500 more copies on gorgeous clear vinyl, a reissue of a reissue, you might say, and I bagged it. This one will certainly be vying for best reissue honors on these pages come December. Here is a little taste from those two shows on the bonus disc. Looks like there are still copies to be had here. Don't miss Michael Head and the Pale Fountains before the fortune and fame of the Virgin years!

Just a Girl (Live)
(There's Always) Something on My Mind (Live)

7 comments:

Dirk said...

You can easily find the Crépuscule ‎- 12" in VG+/VG+ on discogs for $ 16,- from an US seller, Brian: not too expensive, I would think.

I live half an hour away from Belgium and whenever I'm there, I hope to find old Crépuscule ‎records in some charity shops or elsewhere for little money ... never turned out to happen alas!

Brian said...

Always hoped to find it in a shop, Dirk. I’m old fashioned that way. I did see yesterday that even that Operation Twilight 7” isn’t too costly on discogs.

Anonymous said...

I was eagerly awaiting this re-issue to Brian, is your pressing ok? Mine’s has a few pops and clicks something that is becoming more common with new releases sadly.

Drew

Brian said...

We have far too many conversations like this these days, Drew. That live Dexys album springs to mind, but in this case, I didn't have a problem. What I'm noticing with many pieces of vinyl lately is just how quiet the recordings seem. At these prices, we should be disgruntled. I think my next post might have a couple of upcoming releases that may interest you. Stay tuned. Nice to have you back this week, pal. Heading over to your place right now.

Anonymous said...

The Goon Sax is good but get the Chills to the top of the list , its a up there with Submarine Bells

Brian said...

FoRW, You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find the new Chills record on vinyl in this country. I gave up and bought it on Amazon UK. I don't like to do that -- I always try to support mom and pop -- but my go-to indie stores let me down this time. On its way.

JC said...

you never cease to amaze me......I'm easing off on things just now because of a lack of space and an ever increasing fear that I have no one to bequeath stuff to. You, on the other hand, have an insatiable appetite and I can only look on in complete admiration.