Thursday, June 15, 2017

Swell Covers From Jason Falkner

It's funny, the twists and turns that take you to a song. After sitting in the house for more than a week, I finally opened Robyn Hitchcock's new album yesterday. One listen in, I was pleased as punch to hear him with a band again. The album is produced by power-pop aficionado Brendan Benson, and seeing his name on the sleeve made me think of his pal, Jason Falkner. Always happens. I made a mental note to pull out some Falkner soon. It's been too long.

I had a little trouble sleeping last night and decided to read for a bit. I had a copy of 'Rip It Up and Start Again' by Simon Reynolds on the bed stand. Having read it before and just needing to get drowsy, I opened the book on a random page. It was from the chapter "Autonomy in the U.K.: DIY and the British Independent-Label Movement." Reynolds was going on about Swell Maps, and he mentioned the song "Midget Submarines." I immediately recalled Falkner covering that song on the two-disc Japanese import 'Everyone Says It's On' in 2001. Now the signs were clear as day... in my tired mind, anyway. I was meant to listen to that song, and I would never be able to sleep without hearing it. Luckily, my iPod was charging on the bed stand too. I rolled over and started scrolling only to find I didn't have Falkner's "Midget Submarines" on there.

Awake as ever, I made my way downstairs to the music room and took 'Everyone Says It's On' off the shelf. If you know the album, disc one is called "Me," and the second disc is called "Them" because it's all covers by the likes of Kinks, Brian Eno, Magazine, the Left Banke and many more. Inspired choices. You can guess what happened. Paying for it today, but I stayed up and listened to the whole damn thing. It was worth the cost. Here's a great summary of 'Everyone Says It's On' in Falkner's own words. This is from an excellent in-depth interview conducted by magazine Bucketfull Of Brains back in 2010, followed by a couple of covers from the album. I need a nap.

Yeah I just wanted to release some of my 4 track demos because I'm really proud of how they sound. I miss the urgent sound of that machine 4 track cassette machine, so warm and syrupy and delicious. The covers that comprise one disc of that double were actually recorded in 1994 when my short lived post Jellyfish band The Grays were dissolving. The head of Epic had flown out to Chicago to talk me into keeping The Grays together for one more record even though Jon Brion had quit. I was really over that group as well so I negotiated that I be able to make a SOLO (my first solo performed record mind you) record of obscure covers and if that could happen I would make another Grays record without Jon.

My idea was given the green light so when I got back to LA I booked a studio and started recording this cover record. I remember the A&R guy from Epic leaving tons of messages at the studio but I just kept recording and never called him back. I figured whatever he had to say couldn't be as important as this record I was making. Ha ha the nerve! This was a wonderfully exciting time making this record because it was the first time I was in a proper studio playing all the instruments and I chose a very diverse collection of songs that had impacted me deeply. I also thought I might turn the world on to these great obscure bands like The Monochrome Set, The Left Banke and Magazine. Well obviously I didn't do any of these bands a favour because the reason my A&R guy was calling so much was to tell me to STOP and inform me that The Grays were dropped from Epic. So I finally put that out in 2001 on a Japanese label run by a crook. Long story.....If I did another covers record now? Hmmm....maybe a Public Nuisance track, and "Space Ace" by Brett Smiley, Something mid 90's by Guided by Voices....maybe I'll start this after the interview!


"Midget Submarines" (Swell Maps cover)
"Pretty Ballerina" (The Left Banke cover)
"A Song From Under the Floorboards" (Magazine cover)

8 comments:

JC said...

I'm just picturing you doing all you described in that wonderful piece of writing and smiling at it.

Have to confess I'm not that familiar with Mr Falkner - I do know the Magazine cover and to be frank, don't care for it. It's a reason why I've shied away from other stuff...

Echorich said...

Faulkner's take on Floorboards shows Moz how it should be done. JF avoids everything that Morrissey fell into in his version. Where Morrissey attempts to "own" the song with his interpretive vocals (the line "and I got tired of counting all of these SO CALLED blessings" is just head shaking), Faulkner underplays the anger/agnst but brings out a good deal from the lyrics. It's tough to cover a song that kinda a Post Punk standard and it will always divide opinion.

Rol said...

I was a big Jellyfish fan and picked up the first Falkner solo album but I'll admit he's fallen off my radar since then. You've convinced me to add him back to my list.

The Swede said...

Excellent post Brian. When you get an earworm, you just have to play the song, whatever the circumstances! Jason always did have great taste.

C said...

Thanks for these Brian - really like all three, particularly his covers of Pretty Ballerina and SFUTF as I'm so familiar with the originals but it's especially satisfying when a good song is given a different treatment and still works well. Really interesting read too, and as TS says, he has good taste.

JTFL said...

Saw Falkner with Benson at the El Rey - fantastic. Both underrated, underexposed and under appreciated. Didn't have these covers, so thanks, Brian!

McPop said...

Hi Brian, I can't blame you for staying up late listening to Falkner. I have that 2-disc set and thanks to your post I think it's high time to revisit it! By the way, in case you didn't know Jason is producing and playing on the upcoming new Pugwash platter. Cheers, Matt

Brian said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Falkner is a biggie for me. I follow him wherever he goes. His solo albums have been few and far between, but I love them all. His choice of artists to work with has always been impressive. Now it sounds like we can add Pugwash to that long list. I'll be in line for that one.