Friday, June 9, 2017

Miaow on Peel

We began the week with music from Manchester, and I thought we could begin the weekend with another band that got its start in that fine city. I listen to a lot more Cath Carroll through her work with Julian Henry in the Hit Parade than in any of her other guises, but I do have a soft spot for the short lived Miaow. Officially, there were only three singles, two of them recorded for Factory Records in 1987, at least one of which we will listen to in more detail when we get to the letter M in my vinyl-ripping series. I think Miaow always seemed bigger than the paltry discography because of their appearance on the legendary NME 'C86' cassette, as well as two memorable sessions for John Peel.

To the Peel Sessions we go for today's tracks. Recorded for the program in June of '86, "Did She?" would go on to appear as the B-side to the indie hit "When It All Comes Down." To the best of my knowledge, Miaow never recorded "Thames at High Water" outside of the January '87 Peel Session. I assumed for years it was meant to show up on the shelved album 'Priceless Innuendo,' but the demos have seen the light of day without this one. Both of these sessions can be heard in full on the 2003 LTM compilation 'When It All Comes Down.'

"Did She?" (Peel Session)
"Thames at High Water" (Peel Session)

9 comments:

JTFL said...

Love. These. Songs.

The Swede said...

Is anyone else having a problem playing Zippyshare files? They've always been tricky, with pop-ups jumping up here and there (even with a pop-up blocker engaged), but now my security is locking me out of them altogether.

drew said...

Same happens with me Swede. Can't download anything from Zippyshare.

Anonymous said...

Same here with zippyshare

Brian said...

Maybe this has been a problem for a while. I just went into my account and saw that the number of people listening to the song vs. downloading it has been about to 2 to 1 for the last couple of weeks. Normally, the numbers are much closer to 1 to 1. The best service is Box, but I can no longer use them. I have used a couple of others, but they were at least as terrible as Zippy. I'll see what I can come up with...

Brian said...

Swede, Drew and FORW,
Giving Google Drive a try with these two from Miaow. Let me know how it works out. Thanks.

The Swede said...

All good now Brian - diggin' the tunes!

Swiss Adam said...

Great tunes Brian. I've got a lot of time for Cath Carroll.

JC said...

These are rather wonderful. Your point the extent of the discography is an excellent one - I'd have argued there was much much more.