Thursday, September 8, 2016

Cut the Cake Because Wolfhounds Are Back!

As you know, I never pass up an opportunity to tout a band that appeared on 'C86,' but I would probably have to go back to 2013 and the release of the Pastels' 'Slow Summits' since I have been able to really gush over a new album from one of the cassette vets. That same year, Wolfhounds put out 'Middle Aged Freaks,' their first new album in almost a quarter century. I got my hands on all three 7" singles from that era, and I was impressed with the lot, but I never did get the album. So, even though I have more than half of the LP on those singles, it would be a little dishonest of me to recommend it, but I believe we can trust our good friend the Swede, and he told me last year that it is well worth checking out.

On Oct. 14, Wolfhounds will be following up 'Middle Aged Freaks' with the intriguingly titled 'Untied Kingdom (...or how to come to terms with your culture)' as a double LP with gatefold sleeve, once again via Cardiff's Odd Box Records. After listening to it front to back this evening, I found myself slack-jawed by how fresh it sounded. Yes, there's enough jangle to keep those nostalgic for the good ol' days smiling, but don't come in expecting David Callahan & Co. to have rested on their laurels. Much of 'Untied Kingdom' is full of piss and vinegar... a raucous post-punk punch in the gut. I kept turning it up as the record went along. By the time I got to album closer "Across The River of Death," my speakers were begging for mercy. Don't they know how to act their age? Fortunately, no.

Wolfhounds may lose a few fans looking for the same old song and dance routine, but they should win over many more that have never even heard 'Unseen Ripples From A Pebble.' My advice: Don't miss out on 'Untied Kingdom' like I did 'Middle Age Freaks.' Preorder now. For you longtime fans out there, this one is just about the closest you'll get in sound to the band's salad days. You'll appreciate the message too.

No comments: