Thursday, August 16, 2012

Cover Me Impressed: 'Hounds of Love'

Earlier this week, the Guardian named several artists that declined invitations to participate in the Olympic Games closing ceremony on the history of British music. David Bowie was the biggie on this list, but, for me, it would have been nice to see Kate Bush, too. I have been listening to Bush's music quite a bit today, and that brings me to this fascinating take on her 1986 hit "Hounds of Love." This was the first song I heard from the Futureheads' fantastic 2004 self-titled debut album, and I was immediately taken by the band's vocals and poppy hooks. It's a rare feat when a cover betters the original, and I'm not saying this is the case here, but it's worth a conversation.

The charts never really tell the story, but Bush's "Hounds of Love" peaked at No. 18 in the UK, while the Futureheads' "Hounds of Love" managed to debut in the Top 10. Bush and the Futureheads continue to release new music, but it's doubtful either will be able to capture the brilliance of their "Hounds of Love" eras.

But we can hope.

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love (mp3) (Buy)
The Futureheads - Hounds of Love (mp3) (Buy)

No comments: