Friday, October 23, 2020

From Duncan's Parcel of Pop (Part 5)

Let's listen to another gem from my pal in New Zealand. This one places a huge spotlight on one of my favorite indie-pop labels out there. Once again, Duncan and I are simpatico. The floor is yours, Duncan...

Other than this 'Calling At Duke Street' budget compilation, I only managed to pick up two other A Turntable Friend releases during its original incarnation in the 1990s: 7" EPs by The Claim and Hope (both total classics!). So it wasn't until I got hold of a copy of the ATF 'The Test of Time' retrospective compilation last year that I realised what other wonderful objects of indie-pop desire I'd missed out on. How I now wish I'd had the good sense to have bought copies of the Bomb Pops' "Girl Daredevil" 7" (a current favourite of mine) in its delicious light blue sleeve and clear vinyl. Or the excellent Sugar Plant "Orange Filter" 7". Or something by the Love Parade, maybe...

The main reason I bought the 'Duke Street' LP was for the Hellfire Sermons' track "Bill & Sarah", which I knew well from their live set. It appears that ATF had planned to put out a Hellfire Sermons EP at the time, which would have been amazing. But it was a track by the group Tea ("Two Weeks") that impressed me the most. I really can't recommend this track highly enough, and fortunately a remixed version is included on 'Test of Time'.

One of the things that really struck me about the ATF label was the clear love and passion for the vinyl format. Great attention was paid to the packaging, and lots of extras and freebies were included. The 'Duke Street' LP even came with a bonus 7". So it's fantastic that ATF has been resurrected and is continuing to put out some of the best vinyl around. They seem to be in friendly competition Optic Nerve to produce the most mouth-watering records imaginable. Long may it continue.


Hear! Hear! I'm pleased Duncan mentioned 'The Test of Time' because this is the best example of how to put together a label retrospective as can be imagined. The 2017 release (and my favorite reissue of that year) is still available. With recent releases and reissues by the likes of Wolfhounds, the Claim, Candy Opera, Tea, Easy and the Jasmine Minks, I don't know about you, but I have been so thankful Ulrich decided to revive A Turntable Friend a few yeara ago. Shop now.

Now on to a few songs from 1993 compilation 'Calling at Duke Street.' Tough choices, let me tell you. First up is the Orchids. "Avignon" would turn up on their 1994 album 'Striving for the Lazy Perfection' (SARAH 617) in '94, and this was a lovely preview of one of the band's best albums. Next up is Stewart from Boyracer joined by Matthew and Mary from Even As We Speak. This was recorded on a 4-track in Stewart's bedroom at 3AM on Feb. 21, 1993. They turned it down and kept it simple with acoustic guitar and banjo, but it's the vocals that make this a must listen. These last two songs are the ones Duncan gushed about... and rightly so. Duncan threw in a promo photo of Hellfire Sermons to boot. I have to say, having listened to this collecton several times in recent weeks, this song from Tea takes the prize. So pleased it was included on the bonus 7". Enjoy, pop fans!

The Orchids - Avignon
Boyracer With Even As We Speak - Friend
Hellfire Sermons - Bill & Sarah
Tea - Two Weeks

No comments: