Friday, July 19, 2019

A Bevy of Beth

Like the band's singles that have preceded it, Jetstream Pony's recent release of the excellent "Mitte" demo again has me obsessed with Beth Arzy's other bands. Trembling Blue Stars, the Luxembourg Signal and Lightning in a Twilight Hour have had their turns on the turntable this week, but it's Aberdeen that has pushed its way to the front of the line this time around. As much as I kneel at the altar of Sarah Records, I think Aberdeen's third single, the one they did for Sunday Records, just may be the best from the band's first go around.

Snapdragon

One of my favorite acquisitions of the last couple of years has been the album 'Three Wishes: Part Time Punks Sessions.' Back in 2011, Aberdeen were joined by the June Brides and 14 Iced Bears in Los Angeles for live studio recordings and an appearance on the popular radio show. Aberdeen not only went back to the Sarah days for the appearance, but they pulled out the splendid "Snapdragon" as well. Sadly, to the best of my knowledge, Aberdeen hasn't released a new studio recording since. Of course, Ms. Arzy has been pretty busy.

Snapdragon (Part Time Punks Sessions)

Oh, and to whet your appetite for that eagerly anticipated Jetstream Pony album rumored to be around the bend, here is that demo that got my earworm started in the first place. Quality. Let's cross our fingers a physical copy will be a little easier to come by than the band's previous releases. I have had to make due with digital downloads so far, and that's not my usual modus operandi.

No comments: