Monday, February 25, 2019

Indie-Pop Sounds From Seattle

It has been six long years since we had a long player from Tullycraft. Could seventh album 'The Railway Prince Hotel' be the one that takes our twee heroes from relative obscurity to household names? No, of course not, but only because the world is not a just place. Here's an end around. Let's add a new word to the lexicon:

tullycraft /təhl·lē·kraft/ v., -ed, -ing to create something extraordinary after years of inactivity.

Decades later, U2 finally realized they never had the slightest ability to tullycraft an album.

Paddy McAloon sure tullycrafted it with the release of 'Crimson/Red.'

Could the Wild Swans be tullycrafting their masterpiece right now?

Use Tullycraft as a verb as often as possible and they will be remembered long after we're gone... as they should be. 'The Railway Prince Hotel' is an absolute treasure. Album of the year so far. Mine a few gems below. And as a bonus to our pal George who is taking us around the U.S.A. state by state at CC's place, you finally have a song for Delaware. Pick this one up via the always reliable HHBTM Records.








Chris over at Jigsaw Records has been known to search the globe for indie-pop gems. In the last couple of years he has discovered jangle in Indonesia and disciples of Stereolab in France, to name just a couple, but lately it seems he has found you don't need to leave the friendly confines of the Emerald City to discover fine indie pop.



Seapony put out a couple of wonderful albums on Seattle-based Hardly Art earlier this decade, as well as a handful of EPs, but prolific is not exactly a word you would use to describe the band. A few years ago they seemed to be finished for good but then surprised everyone with an EP in 2017. Where the band stands now is a head-scratcher, but at least that hole in your soul is being filled by Seapony offshoot Space Daze, solo project of guitarist Danny Rowland. The sound on 'Too Mystical' isn't worlds away from Seapony either. The album has that laid-back tone of Real Estate, or for those whippersnappers of my generation, late '80s or early '90s Feelies. This one is sure to hit the spot.



Here's some indie pop that won't make you feel like a sad sack staring at the top of your shoes. On "Every Kiss (Feels Like It Could Be The Last)," the Regrets seem sugary sweet on the outside but feel sour on the inside, and that juxtaposition makes for perfect pop. The songs on the five-song EP "Endless Desire" hearken to another age, much like the School or early Lucky Soul, but the band isn't afraid turn it up for some 1966 garage on "Temporary Attachment." Can't wait to hear what direction they decide to go on their first long player.

8 comments:

Rol said...

Your use of tullycraft as a verb is inspired, Brian - particularly the U2 example. I will be checking out that record.

There already is a fine band called The Regrettes, so your final act might want to think about a name change. Then again... regrets: I've had a few...

(On the other hand: je ne regrette rien.)

Brian said...

Rol, I love the Regrettes! Seashore was on my list of 2017 best songs...

http://lineartrackinglives.blogspot.com/2017/12/a-festive-50-favorite-songseps-of-2017.html

Rol said...

In that case, it was probably you that introduced them to me.

By the way, I took a quick glance at the tracklist on that Tullycraft album (can't actually listen to it as I'm at work... shh) and they had me with some of the song titles. I definitely want to know why they can't dance to Billy Joel!

Brian said...

And I give credit to Drew for introducing the Regrettes to me. Quite a little community we have here, eh? As for Mr. Joel, you may be on your own there, but that's why we love you. We all have our Billy Joels.

George said...

Now I'll have to choose something else for Delaware.I was going to use that song..........

The Swede said...

Tullycraft is not only a good verb and great band, they also know their way round a jaunty video - excellent stuff. Seven albums? Blimey. I'm particularly taken by the sound of The Regrets too.

drew said...

Great stuff Brian. I think I may try to use Tullycraft in that manner. I wonder how it would go down at the next department meeting. " Yeah after 19 years of trying I have eventually successfully tullycrafted one of my studies".


I was a bit confused by the Regrets there. I like what I hear and also the baseball jacket. I have a story about a baseball jacket, a bottle of Stoli, concussion and the Age of Chance I may regale you with one day.


I saw the Regrettes live in the basement of Broadcast next to Nice ands Sleazy's last May, they were great but boy, did I feel old.

Brian said...

Perfect use of tullycraft. Never mind the confused looks around the conference room. Your peers are the ones who will feel silly very soon when everyone is using the word. Ooh, always love the Drew tales. Bring it on. I get it, Drew. The Regrettes make you feel just a little bit creepy, but I think it's actually the attitude that we are attracted to because that was us in 1985. Get your kids to like the Regrettes and live quietly through them.

Thanks, Swede. Great videos and album. Happy to see them hooked up with HHBTM Records. Mike Turner is a swell fellow. Hope things are going well for you with the job and all.