Saturday, October 27, 2018

Ring-a-Ding-Ding

Earlier this week, I went to my son's middle-school band concert. To some of you I imagine this sounds like a fate worse than death, but it's different when you have someone to root for from the uncomfortable bleachers of the gym. Obviously, my son was the best one. Ha! For Halloween, they played three movements from 'Darklands Legends,' and there is a part when one of the percussionists really gets to go to town on the tubular bells. Man, do I love bells. I have always wanted to take vibraphone lessons. Why haven't I just done it? Inertia, I guess.

Anyway, as this kid is wailing on the bells, a couple of pop songs popped into my mind. Here's one of them. Perhaps they are best known for backing Captain Sensible on a couple of smash hits, but Dolly Mixture was a female trio I knew from their short time on Paul Weller's Respond label. In fact, the "Been-Teen" single was the very first release. This is RESP 4, released in 1982, and I hope you like your bells. This makes the fourth Respond act featured here in the last couple of years. A Craze, Tracie and the Questions were the others. Can Vaughan Toulouse be far away?

Everything and More

8 comments:

The Swede said...

I'm unfamiliar with the song, but it holds up very well and doesn't sound dated at all. Great bells too.

Brian said...

Completely agree, Swede. Pop with just a hint of post-punk. Different than the sophisti-pop sound Respond would come to be known for a little later.

Echorich said...

Bring on Vaughn Toulouse...his very interesting career deserves some column inches! As a Weller fan, I bought quite a few Respond singles, I have Everything and more, a number of The Questions singles and Tracie as well as Mr. Toulouse.

Brian said...

Echorich, I had a feeling you were going to say that about VT. Let me put it another way. I knew you would be the only person who would give me a nudge.

drew said...

New to me Brian but I rather liked it, a morning song if ever I heard one.

Alyson said...

Liked it too. Great use of the bells.

We've done our fair share of school concerts and of course your offspring are always the best of them all, we are pre-programmed to think that way even if they're not.

Brian said...

You said it, Alyson. No way I have an ear to pick out one clarinet!

JC said...

I'd forgotten all about this single.....never bought it at the time cos the bells annoyed me!! Just listened again....I was a fool back in 1982.