Friday, April 20, 2018

ABCs of My Vinyl Collection (Letter G, Part 9)

This is where it all began for me with the Go-Betweens. I was 16 when 'Liberty Belle And The Black Diamond Express' came out. I heard "Spring Rain". That was it. I ran to this otherwise terrible national-chain shop to pick it up. They didn't have it... but wait... there was a copy on cassette. As you can see above, I must have been champing at the bit because I bought it on the inferior format. Obviously, that wasn't good enough because I got it on vinyl later that year. I fell for the Aussies hard, and picked up what I could. Remember, this was 1986. Even though they were on Beggars Banquet, the band was a hard get among the cornfields of Illinois.

For example, in '87, I remember finding 'Tallulah' in the import bin of the record store in the nearest college town. For some inexplicable reason it was the German release on Rebel Rec. That more or less sums up the hodgepodge that is the Go-Betweens on my shelf. Used 12" singles, cassettes, imports from strange lands and, sadly, more CDs than vinyl. If you put all of the formats together, I can claim to have all of their long players, but I was still so tempted to get that 'G Stands For Go-Betweens' box Domino put out in 2015. It wasn't because of all the extras either. I liked the idea of all that Go-Betweens in one smart set. I suppose I liked the idea of buying something new from the Go-Betweens too. I had it in my hands, but I couldn't pull the trigger. Regret? Yes, a little, but seeing all of these records spread across the floor just now is a smile as I think about all of those trips to the shops as a lad.

For today's selections, I'm going to stick with my first love, the 'Liberty Belle' era. I have the two singles from that album on 12", and the flip sides are far from the usual B-side fare. At time of release, the best part was these were non-album tracks. These days, "The Wrong Road" is probably my favorite song on 'Liberty Belle', and this early version shows it was special from the beginning. It's nice to hear Tracey Thorn sing with Robert on "Head Full of Steam" too. I had no idea Robert and Lindy had been such good friends with Ben and Tracey back then until I read Tracey's book.

Spring Rain
The Life At Hand
Little Joe

Head Full of Steam (Remix)
Don't Let Him Come Back
The Wrong Road (Early Version)

Tomorrow is Record Store Day, and I'm actually going this year. One record I really want, however, is being sold only in the UK. If any of my friends from across the pond plan to stop into a shop tomorrow and need an American only release, I would love to make a deal. This is the 7" I'm seeking:

The Hit Parade - Happy World

Drop me a line at lineartrackinglives@gmail.com if you would like to work something out. I'll do my best to pick up your wants. That is all.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

G stands fro greatness

The Swede said...

I wish I could help you Brian. There's no record shop for miles around - plus I'm at work all day. I hope you get lucky.

Brian said...

No worries, Swede. Most of us don’t bother with RSD anymore, if we ever did. This year there happens to be an artist that doesn’t release much music. If I do t get it tomorrow, I’ll find another way. There is always another way if you want it badly enough.

Walter said...

It is always a pleasure to listen the great Go-Betweens. Most of the record shops closed down in Germany and I don't know if you can get any special edition on RSD here. Hope you find the things you want Brian

TheRobster said...

I'm popping into town shortly and may drop by my local record shop Diverse to see if they still have a copy of the new Belly 10". I'll see if they have a Hit Parade 7" while I'm at it. I'll let you know...

TheRobster said...

Sorry dude, no luck. Tried a few places but none had it. If it's any consolation, I did get my Belly 10"...

Brian said...

Thanks for doing that, Robster. May not be too many copies made. Congrats on the Belly.

Charity Chic said...

My haul was 3CDS from my local charity shop for £1.50

Brian said...

I spent a little more than that.

drew said...

I spent a hell of a lot more than CC in Monrail and I wasn't going to go to RSD but the sun was out and the scooter needed a run out. Sorry Ihadn't looked at the blogs since Friday morning. Going back in tomorrow, so will have a look for you.

Rol said...

The Go Betweens were a band I never really investigated beyond their Greatest Hits (I know, sacrilege!).

However, I've been listening to Friends Of Rachel Worth a lot lately and really, really enjoying it. Will have to venture a little further back into their catalogue soon.

George said...

Spring Rain will probably be the best song I hear today. Tremendous.

Brian said...

Thanks, Drew. I have kept an eye on Monorail through their Web site. I don't think they have it... unless RSD releases haven't been put into their system. Hope you were able to find some interesting stuff on Saturday.

Brian said...

George, Thought this one might get you back on the blog bandwagon. Welcome back!

Rol, FoRW is a very nice and underappreciated album. I especially like the Clock and Going Blind. I envy that you get to discover all of their other albums.

drew said...

It wasn't in Monorail, sorry Brian. This Friday night I will check online with some of the UK shops for you.

Brian said...

Hey, Drew. If you happen to see it come available on a shop’s site after the one-week moratorium, let me know. I’ll take care of it from there. Rough Trade and Juno both have a listing for it with an available soon message. I’ll try there this weekend. Take care.

George said...

No more music today, and it was the best song I heard all day.

JC said...

So sorry I couldn't be on any use to you with RSD.

My love for the Go-Betweens is well documented. Also loving The Goon Sax and Robert Forster's recent solo output....can't wait to see him in 2019 at King Tut's, a gig at which Aldo and The Comrade will be accompanying me.