Tuesday, November 7, 2017

ABCs of My Vinyl Collection (Letter F, Part 9)

Here's a quick explanation of where I have been. Three weeks ago, my computer died. The repair shop told me the hard drive was fried. After a couple of days of contemplation, I decided to get a new laptop. The old one had already experienced a major repair last year, and who was to say the fan or screen wouldn't break the day after replacing the drive? I chose a model rather quickly, but then I found out there was a good chance it would be going on sale in a week's time. I waited.

The day it went on sale, I returned to the shop with a pile of cash. The model I wanted was not in stock. I could get the sale price, but the laptop would have to be ordered. It would be mailed to my house in 3-5 business days. With a weekend thrown in for good measure, I lost another week. The package arrived yesterday. I quickly took it to the repair shop to have the files on the old hard drive moved to the new one. I just picked it up a few minutes ago. It will probably take me a couple of days to get all of the missing software reinstalled, but I should be all set by the end of the week. In the meantime, I did have the next band in my vinyl collection already ripped. Let's get back to it.

One last thing. It would seem the worst part of the ordeal would be living without that one piece of equipment all of us have come to depend on for just about everything. Nope. For me, it's knowing I won't be able to buy records for a good long while as we try to replenish the coffers. The shopping list is as long as it has ever been.

I realize a post on Friends Again is for about two readers out there (JC and FORW, presumably), but I would be kicking myself if I skipped one of my favorite Scottish bands from my youth. I came to them from a little different angle than JC. He liked them from the beginning, listening to those early singles before they recorded for a major label. When I was a kid, my first taste of Friends again was the band's one and only album, 'Trapped and Unwrapped'. For those who had followed them since the 'Honey at the Core' single in 1983, the 1984 album was a bit of a disappointment. In particular, some of the songs were inferior recordings of those earlier releases. It's an old story, isn't it? I, of course, had nothing to compare them too, and I thought "Lucky Star" and others from the album were terrific pieces of jangle.

Fast forward about a quarter of a century, and I find JC's original Vinyl Villain blog. He starts playing these original versions from Friends Again, and I'm just floored. 'Trapped and Unwrapped' begins collecting dust as I start seeking out the old singles. As you can see from the photo above, during the past five or six years, I have collected quite a few trophies on my hunt for Friends Again relics. Here are a few of my favorites from the band. This is as good a time as any to thank JC for the education.

"Lullaby No. 2" (from 'the Friends Again EP')
"Sunkissed" (Extended Version) (12" single)
"Lucky Star" (original B-side to the "Honey at the Core" 7")

13 comments:

Charity Chic said...

He's back!
And we don't have to look at The Fixx no more

Brian said...

Amen to that, CC. What an embarrassment!

Echorich said...

Ah Friends Again...I had a fleeting interaction with their music and then picked up on them again a few years before finding The Vinyl Villain. But since joining this ever growing corner of the blogosphere, it has been a pleasure to, from time to time revel in Friends Again, Love And Money and The Bathers.

The Swede said...

Great to see you back Brian - as my old Nan would've said, what a palaver!

drew said...

I came to Friends Again like a lot of other stuff at the time from a friend's older brother who needing cash for Uni sold me the Friends Again ep, Honey at The Core and Trapped and Unwrapped. I really liked the album versions but then againI liked you heard those first too.

Glad you're back Brian and I feel your pain regarding the wants list

Brian said...

Echorich, Note to self... more Bathers on the blog!
Swede, Good to hear from you. Nan's words ring true.
Drew, I didn't get the Michael Head album before the debacle. Big mistake. Take care of yourself. Your blog will wait for you to feel it again.

Brian said...

Drew, you're back! Happy day!!

Pop Judge said...

Hi Brian - Friends Again "State Of Art" was a big Popguns' favourite before a night out, along with Bodines "Heard It All", another tune that's sadly not on Spotify. Strange as SOA has over 100k streams on Youtube.

Pop Judge said...

And Honey At The Core of course - what a track. I recently went through my old 7' vinyl from the 80s with the evil intention of selling a few old high-value rarities but Friends Again EP stayed safely in the box.

Anonymous said...

Always associate frienda again with treasure hunting in 2nd hand record shops to try and get everything they released.

Anonymous said...

Heard it all is a lost clasdic , if just for the line when you think shes lonely you phone just to make sure"

Brian said...

Hey, JP. Hope all is well with you. For me, the Honey at the Core single is the best moment from Friends Again, and I love both sides equally. Would love to hear a mix of your favorites before a big night out with the band. When it comes to selling off our records, we all have huge regrets. I sold off a bunch of Smiths singles in the spring of ‘87... many years before they were worth big money. Had a good reason, but that sell off hurts the most.

JC said...

Amen, brother.

So sorry to read about the trials and tribulations with the technology.

Check your inbox soon. I'm going to interrupt my reading to send you something.

JC