Sunday, May 21, 2017

Two Great Songs That Sound Great Together (2)

Here's another twofer I used to love to put back to back on mix tapes when I was a lad. It feels like the Nick Lowe-Elvis Costello combinations could be endless, really, but I liked to stack these two songs from 1978 for their slightly eerie atmospheres. One song is decidedly superior to the other, always making Lowe's "No Reason" the build to the masterpiece, but the album it comes from, 'Jesus of Cool,' is impossible to cut up. I couldn't imagine Lowe would make a better album, at least until he released 'The Impossible Bird' in 1994. That's an argument for another day. It's clear these two fellas that have nothing but respect for each other's craft, and each has much to be thankful for because of the other.

Nick Lowe - "No Reason"
Elvis Costello & the Attractions - "(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea"

7 comments:

Echorich said...

I love Nick Lowe and especially Jesus Of Cool...(I Love The Sound Of) Breaking Glass is an all time favorite and Little Hitler is kinda timeless.
It was pointed out to me years ago that No Reason is a great example of how much Lowe appreciated Alex Chilton - something that rings true if you listen to Daisy Glaze from Big Star's Radio City Album. It's a song that takes off at just past the halfway mark, but Lowe must have been impressed by the guitar lines as they feature on No Reason in a very respectable way.
Pairing No Reason with (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea is really brilliant Brian! Both tracks manage to incorporate outside influences into the New Wave Pop sound. Ska on No Reason and Texan psychedelia on Chelsea... That fantastic farfisa action would find it's way on Big Tears on the b-side of the next single Pump It Up.

The Swede said...

Oh yes - these work perfectly. Made to be played one after the other.

JC said...

I can't say I've been aware of this Nick Lowe song until now (don't know much beyond 'Breaking Glass') but as the two esteemed commentators have already said, this pairing is inspired.

You never cease to amaze me.

Walter said...

A really perfect combination of two Songs that fits together. Jesus of Cool is a timeless record that I still listen from time to time. And Nick an Elvis were on almost every tape I made in my very younger days. Great Job Brian

Rol said...

Yeah, great combo. For many years, I only knew Jesus Of Cool from Nick Lowe (and his greatest hits). Only recently have I started discovering his most recent efforts: some great, mature songwriting there.

Charity Chic said...

Rol - Dig My Mood is a cracker and I suspect is right up your street

Brian said...

Hey, fellas. I have every Lowe album and tons of boots and such too. I have to admit some of the mid to late '80s albums are a blur, but I fell in love with the Impossible Bird, and I think the so-called crooning years have been inspired.