Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Top 100 Songs From the 1990s (Last Leftovers)

Just like in beauty pageants, in case there was a song in my top 100 that couldn't live up to the responsibilities of being chosen for this high honor, I did assemble, in order, my first 10 out. You'll quickly see I followed music more closely in my college years than I did later in the decade.

101. Throwing Muses - "Counting Backwards" (1991)
102. Brian - "Understand" (1992)
103. The Elvis Brothers - "Ruthy Anne" (1992)
104. Robert Forster - "The Circle" (1993)
105. Trembling Blue Stars - "Dark Eyes" (1999)
106. Rob Wasserman, Brian Wilson, Carnie Wilson -
"Fantasy Is Reality (Bells of Madness)" (1994)
107. Kitchens of Distinction - "Quick as Rainbows" (1990)
108. My Bloody Valentine - "Sometimes" (1991)
109. Big Audio Dynamite II - "The Globe" (1991)
110. The Webb Brothers - "Cold Fingers" (1996)

...And the Next 10 In No Particular Order...
(I could do 20 more, but I'm ready to put this to bed.)

Sam Phillips - "Standing Still"
The Judybats - "Native Son"
Ride - "Vapour Trail"
Boyracer - "I've Got It and It's Not Worth Having"
Aimee Mann - "Save Me"
Dressy Bessy - "If You Should Try to Kiss Her"
Grandaddy - "A.M. 180"
Aberdeen - "When It Doesn't Matter"
XTC - "Wrapped in Grey"
Pixies - "Alec Eiffel"

Sorry to bring you down, but I have some sad news I think I should share because the blog is going to go dark for a while and some of you are bound to wonder what's happening. You may have noticed my output has slowed in the last few weeks. My mother-in-law has been very sick, and two weeks ago Mrs. LTL got the dreaded phone call that she had better hop a plane back to the cornfields of Illinois. Indeed, after many rough days, her mother has succumbed to her illness. Now it's time for all of us to go home. The blog should be up and running again as the calendar turns to December. Three of our four parents are gone now. Soon our generation will be the patriarchs and matriarchs. Time really is fleeting, isn't it?

17 comments:

alvalmeida said...

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the passing of your mother-in-law. I lost mine 9 years ago also in November. My prayers to her and also to your wife. Time is the best cure for this. I can tell by my experience. I lost my dad some years ago. But he is always with me in my mind.

drew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
drew said...

My deepest condolences to you, your wife and the rest of the family Brian.

Anonymous said...

So very sorry to hear the sad news Brian. Please pass on my condolences to Mrs LTL.

The Swede said...

That last one was from me - not sure why it published as anonymous.

TheRobster said...

"107. Kitchens of Distinction - "Quick as Rainbows" (1990)"

I should tell you to hang your head in shame at this unforgiveably low placing. Instead I wish you all well and offer my condolences. Take care mate.

Charity Chic said...

Sorry for your loss Brian.Condolences to your wife,you and your family

George said...

Sorry to hear the sad news Brian, condolences to Mrs LTL and you and your family.

C said...

So sorry to read this Brian, my condolences to you both too.

Echorich said...

So very sorry to hear of your loss Brian. My heartfelt condolences to your wife and her family.

MisterPrime said...

Take care.

kevinpat said...

It's tough to say goodbye to one's mom. You and the Mrs seem to have a wonderful partnership. Most of your stories have her involved. That's nice and special. I know she'll be in good hands during this sad and difficult time. Although the good times with mom will be finite and she may be gone from sight you got all those good times and memories that stay with you. Although it never goes away it will get easier over time. Peace.



PS. Where's my damn Hole?!!!! :)))) See you on the other side my friend.

Ian Balentine said...

Time is indeed fleeting, a point made clearer each and every year. I am sorry for your loss.

Swiss Adam said...

Take care Brian.

Walter said...

My deepest condolences too to you and the family. As Adam said - take care Brian.

Scott said...

Sorry to hear of your loss Brian. Deepest condolences to all of you.

Dirk said...

Very sorry about your loss, Brian. Condolences from my side as well. Also sorry for the belated comment, I had been ill for while and didn't feel like spending too much time in front of the computer, but feel better now.