Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Pull Trigger on New Single From the Popguns

Remember back in June when I was fawning over a stream of "Lovejunky," the first new song from Popguns in nearly two decades? Well, Matinée Recordings has just announced the arrival of the 7", and it's a real corker. A couple of things to keep in mind: The physical release is on cherry-red vinyl and limited to 500 hand-numbered copies. If you're saying, "So what? That song is going to show up on 'Pop Fiction,' the band's full-length album out later this year... I can wait," then shame on you.

Don't you remember what it's like to actually hold a single in your hand and to gaze at the picture sleeve as the record spins seductively? And believe me, as you can see above, this cover is a beautiful piece of art. Do I sound like an old coot? OK, then, how about this? There are two B-sides, and neither one of the songs will be on 'Pop Fiction.' Mmm-hmm. Thought that might get your attention. I have had the good fortune of hearing "Long Way To Fall" and "Home Late," and let me tell you, if these are the songs that didn't make the album, we are in for a real treat.

Matinée is selling the "Lovejunky" single exclusively for the next two weeks before your local mom-and-pop shop gets a crack at some copies, but I suggest you don't wait around for that. Give the A-side another listen right now, then get to the label's online shop.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good news! Hopefully they'll tour the album too and play somewhere further north than Brighton. I saw them twice 'back in the day' - in October 1990 at the Venus Club in Nottingham and then in '92 (probably) at Edwards No. 8 in Birmingham - and they were great on both occasions, despite Wendy being pissed off in Brum by the lack of audience enthusiasm. We interviewed them afterwards for a fanzine I was involved with at the time and she wouldn't chat much, though the guitarist (Greg, I think it was...) was perfectly friendly...

Cheers, MisterPrime

Brian said...

MisterPrime,
First off, wanted to let you know I got a physical copy of the Cavalcade yesterday. Wonderful. I never had the pleasure of seeing Popguns "back in the day." So, I envy you. They have played some well-received shows in the past year with a slightly revamped lineup (and additional female vocalist)... and the clips I have seen filled me with optimism. I hope they stop in your neck of the woods. Keep in touch.

george said...

Nothing wrong with sounding like an old coot, Brian. I suspect that many of your readers could be thsu described. Well, certainly THIS old coot. ANd what a good pop tune from the Popguns. Even though it's new, it takes me (and you?) back 25 years

Brian said...

Hey George. Quite happy you like this one. You had three fine tunes at your place today. I was especially glad to see you chose Bronski Beat from the bevy of bands that have done songs titled Heatwave. I'm not a huge fan of the Who, but I liked their take of the old Martha & the Vandellas song on A Quick One. This old coot reminds you to enjoy that warm weather.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, fingers crossed. In the meantime, I've got Allo' darlin' next month supported by both Making Marks and Seagulls, which in itself makes for a better show already than this years Nottingham POP! All-dayer! I'll send you a review if you like. And I'm glad you liked the Cavalcade album too...

Cheers,
MisterPrime

Brian said...

MisterPrime,
If you write it, I will post it. I'm seeing them on Oct. 29, but I don't believe they are playing with Making Mark and Seagulls over here. Too bad for me. Anyway, I won't review it. The floor will be yours. Thanks much.