Thursday, April 24, 2014

UK Indie Hits: 1980-89 (No. 24)

I'm counting down my top 50 singles from the golden age of the UK Independent Charts.

24. The Wake - "Talk About the Past"

Other Contenders: Surprisingly, there were only three charting singles. "Of the Matter" is a real keeper.

Chart Entry: April 7, 1984

Peak Position: No. 11

Comment: I have spent a considerable amount of time on this blog touting the merits of the Wake. I get the feeling the general consensus out there is something like, "Why don't you just listen to New Order? They're worlds better." That's what the music press back in the day thought, too, but I highly recommend the band's period beginning with this one-off single in 1984 through the "Something No One Else Could Bring" EP in 1987. Extra high marks go to the full-length album 'Here Comes Everybody' from 1985. One song in particular, "Melancholy Man," would be high on my list of all-time favorite tracks.

As for "Talk About the Past," the 12" version, clocking in at more than six minutes, is the band's most successful single. That's Vini Reilly from Durutti Column performing that wicked piano part. If you asked members of the band about why they never quite made it, I imagine they would tell a tale of Factory's lack of support and about how that fact eventually forced a defection to Sarah. I don't believe the problem was living in the shadow of New Order. In fact, there would always be renewed interest whenever they played live shows supporting them. I think it had more to do with the enormous gaps of time between recordings... due in large part to lineup changes. There should have been tremendous momentum following the success of "Talk About the Past," but it would be nearly two years between the release of that single and 'Here Comes Everybody.' Even I forgot about them for a while.

Buy "Talk About the Past" on 'Here Comes Everybody + Singles.'

4 comments:

Dirk said...

Hmmh, I don't remember this one at all, to be honest: I know though that I have it at least on one compilation, will give it a spin when I get home ...

Brian said...

Hi Dirk. I'm sure there are others scratching their heads right now, too. Converting listeners to the Wake has been a pet project of mine for quite a while. I don't think I have convinced many. You really only need the single disc 'Here Comes Everybody.' The LTM reissue has all of the best non-album singles tacked on the end. Hope it's still in print.

Swiss Adam said...

I've got this. Good band.

Brian said...

Thanks for saying so, Swiss Adam. I needed that. You're the first person to ever compliment them on here.