Thursday, March 6, 2014

UK Indie Hits: 1980-89 (No. 49)

I'm counting down my top 50 singles from the golden age of the UK Independent Charts.

49. Ben Watt - "Some Things Don't Matter"

Other Contenders: None. This was Watt's only solo charting single.

Chart Entry: March 26, 1983

Peak Position: No. 23

Comment: The stripped-down sophisti-pop found on Everything But the Girl's first single was already in the shops by the time Watt's solo album joined it on the shelves, but the same laid-back jazz-guitar that made "Night and Day" a hit also filled the slightly less appreciated 'North Marine Drive.' This song has been quite a fine companion on many a sleepless night. You're going to find trumpet on this countdown from time to time, but I'm fairly certain this is the only sax solo.

Buy "Some Things Don't Matter" on 'North Marine Drive.'

Update: Prolific commenter and pal Echorich mentions a new song from Watt in the comments section. Here it is. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Wonderful.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cant wait for his new solo stuff out late spring. Back with a guitar

Brian said...

I'm with you, FORW. I think his vocals are underrated too, very soothing, but I guess overshadowing can't be helped when you're paired with Tracey Thorn.

Echorich said...

If you haven't already hear Hendra rush over to Soundcloud!! That folk/jazz base of his previous solo material has matured and morphed and the result is sublime and refreshing. I have to admit I have a huge place in my heart for North Marine Drive. When I saw EBTG at the Royalty Theatre 20 odd yrs ago I was caught out yelling for Some Things Don't Matter and Waiting Like Mad twice during the show... Ben just looked down at his guitar and shook his head a little and I caught Danny Thompson and Tracy smirk and chuckle.

Brian said...

Echorich, You weren't behind me at a Crowded House show here in Seattle back in 2010, were you? Someone kept yelling "Neeeeeiill!" Then followed it up with obscure Split Enz requests right in my ear all night long. Ha! Thanks for Hendra. I posted it.

Echorich said...

BTW the video for Eardrum Buzz has some great cameo's from the era...