Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Today's Headlines: Spoon, Pixies and More


There is word of not one, but two, new releases in early 2010 from Merge artists, and they are both doozies. Spoon got us a little bit excited over the summer with the release of the 'Got Nuffin' EP, and now the label has set a Jan. 26 date for the Austin band's full-length release. Here is the tracklist for their seventh LP, 'Transference':

1. Before Destruction
2. Is Love Forever?
3. The Mystery Zone
4. Who Makes Your Money
5. Written in Reverse
6. I Saw the Light
7. Trouble Comes Running
8. Goodnight Laura
9. Out Go the Lights
10. Got Nuffin
11. Nobody Gets Me But You

Spoon - Got Nuffin (mp3)

In slightly more exciting news for me, Shout Out Louds will release their third LP, 'Work', on Feb. 23. It's been more than two years since 'Our Ill Wills', and I have really missed these Swedish popsters. Here's a little 56-second look at making the album with producer Phil Ek (Modest Mouse, Fleet Foxes) in Seattle, and I'll include one of my favorites from their 2003 debut below:



Shout Out Louds - Very Loud (mp3)

There are a couple of exciting TV appearances this week. 'Austin City Limits' has been so good this season. The show is following up M. Ward's appearance last weekend with Elvis Costello this weekend. This looks to be a mostly country/folk/bluegrass session with new songs from 'Secret, Profane and Sugarcane'. Here's a look. On Friday, Pixies will be in Los Angeles for a few shows to mark the 20th anniversary of 'Doolittle'. They will stop by 'The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien' to perform "Here Comes Your Man". Set your DVRs now!

Pixies - Here Comes Your Man (Live in Brussels 10/14/09) (mp3)

I could write about a few new releases that came out today, but I have already done most of these to death already. I'll just give a quick rundown and one of my favorites from Dave Grohl and Co.:

Nirvana - Live at Reading
Nirvana - Bleach (Deluxe)
Foo Fighters - Greatest Hits
Julian Casablancas - Phrazes For the Young

Foo Fighters - Learn to Fly (mp3)

Finally, I have ascended to great heights to pass on info about the new one from Spiral Stairs. I hate AOL with all of my being, but I have to give the devil its due for premiering the second video from 'The Reel Feel' this week. Here's 'Cold Change'.

No comments: