Monday, June 15, 2009

Vegas Wants You to Want Cheap Trick


I love Cheap Trick. I love The Beatles. I completely understand the historical importance of the Sgt. Pepper album. So, why do I feel angst after the announcement that Cheap Trick will have a brief residency in September at the Las Vegas Hilton to perform the Sgt. Pepper album? Is this a good idea?

The band will have a little help from its friends (ugh, I know). They will be accompanied by a full orchestra, Indian sitarists, and the sound will be handled by Grammy-award winning Beatles' engineer Geoff Emerick. Actually, all of that seems pretty interesting. It could be worse. Remember that Bee Gees/Peter Frampton debacle in the '70s? Perhaps I just have a Fab Four hangover after Cirque de Soleil's 'Love' at the Mirage and all of this gaming buzz about Rock Band. There was a time when it seemed impossible for Sgt. Pepper to be performed live, but Cheap Trick has already pulled it off a handful of times at the Hollywood Bowl in recent years. It seems, however, the band has upped the ante considerably. No word on if they will wear the costumes. It could be fun to see Bun E. Carlos dressed in one of those shiny uniforms. Maybe not.

Wait! I just got in touch with my feelings. As I mentioned, I love Cheap Trick, but as the following song will prove, perhaps the band should leave The Beatles alone.

Cheap Trick - Magical Mystery Tour (mp3)

No comments: